Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Realization

Did you just make an awesome sale? Paid $2.00 for an item that you sold for $40.00? Congrats! Feel like doing a bit of bragging to friends or family for a well-deserved pat on the back? Good luck with that.

I have realized that some people simply will NOT understand why you are digging through other people's crap to turn around and sell it on eBay. They will look at you like you're crazy or just smile and nod like you're an idiot. Now, don't get me wrong, I have some positive reactions when I talk to people about what I'm doing, but most people just give me a hard time. "Don't you have any sentimental attachments to anything?" I'm asked. I want to say; "sentimental attachment to OTHER people's 10-year-old Blue's Clues toys? Are you nuts?" Instead, I just shrug.

I am also given a hard time for selling toys when I have a child myself. I realize that as she gets older, Addy will want to play with some of the toys before I sell them, and that's fine. She's 6 months old now, though. Her favorite toy is tissue paper. I don't think she holds it against me.

I think that's why some of these yard sale-ing blogs have become popular. It's nice to say "hey, I just sold this incomplete set of Sookie Stackhouse books for $20.00!" And have people positively respond to your small victory.

So, just know that if you're out there and you're trying hard to make some money on the side, good for you. You're providing a service just like any other business out there. You're being a smart business-person and making other people happy. Keep up the great work!

No comments:

Post a Comment